Required Coursework & Course Descriptions
A major in Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies requires 36 credit hours of coursework including 3 required WGSS courses (intro, theory and senior seminar) and 27 additional hours which may include WGSS 451 (internship), WGSS 499 (undergraduate research), and/or related courses from the Social/Natural Sciences and Humanities.
For students with a major in another discipline, a minor in WGSS can be completed by taking a total of 18 credit hours of WGSS and related courses. These include WGSS 100 and 400, either WGSS 365 or 451, and 3 courses/9 credit hours from related courses.
Review the course descriptions and WGGS major/minor requirements in the UNC Asheville Course Catalog.
Declaration of Major or Minor
Students can declare their major or minor online.Before declaring a major, students must have completed WGSS 100 with a grade of C or better.
Recent WGSS Electives in the Social Science/Natural Sciences:
- ANTH 339 Intersections of Gender in America
- ANTH 350 Body, Disability and Culture
- ANTH 361 Writing Gender
- ANTH 425 Manhood and Masculinities
- ECON 330 Women, Men and Work
- HWP 154 Women’s Health
- HWP 155 Men’s Health
- HWP 253 Health and Sexuality
- POLS 348 Women and Politics
- PSYC 333 Psychology of Women
- PSYC 367 Human Sexuality
- PSYC 368 Psychology of Close Relationships
- POLS 373 Queer Law/Sexuality & The American Legal System
- SOC 280 Sociology of Gender
- SOC 330 Sociology of Families
- SOC 359 Women of Color and Feminism
- SOC 390 Queer Sociology
Recent WGSS Electives in the Humanities:
- CLAS 350 Women in Antiquity
- CLAS 356 Ancient Sexualities
- HIST 301 Women in US History: 1890s to the Present
- HIST 358 European Feminisms
- HIST 383 Women in China
- LIT 346 Gender and the American Road Narrative
- LIT 359 Major Women Writers
- LIT 349 Post Colonial Literature
- LIT 389 Seminar in Major Authors: Virginia Woolf
- LIT 489 Seminar in Major Authors: Toni Morrison
- MUSC 373 Women and Popular Music: 1920-Present
- PHIL 302 Philosophy of Sex and Gender
- RELS 330 Women and Religion
Additional elective and special topics courses may be approved by the Program Director.